LATEST

Software

8 Aug 2018

Budget cooler... but is it decent? DEEPCOOL Gammaxx 300R Review



Introduction

My old All-in-One cooler died and I had to RMA it. Having the Ryzen 5 1600x I had no other cooler to use until the RMA is solved. So looking for a budget temporary replacement I found the Gammaxx 300R for around 28 Eur, looked decent so I went ahead and purchased it.
Cooler from the front
Cooler from the side
Stock thermal paste is pre-applied in a nice pattern

Presentation

The Gammaxx 300R is a cooler with 3 copper heat pipes, comes with a 120mm custom semi-transparent fan mounted on it, universal Intel and AMD clips, a manual and pre-applied thermal paste. The installation of the AMD clips was very easy although requiring a bit of force when mounting it on the motherboard. The only real flaw I found is that you can't actually mount aftermarket 120 mm on the radiator, mostly due to the clips it comes with and the fan that the actual radiator is 110 x 75 x 52 mm.

The build quality is as expected for the prize range

Below I will list the specs, a few pictures of the product, a few tests to see the thermal performance of it. Of course since, hopefully, I will also review other cooling solutions I will use the Cooler Master MasterGel Maker Nano thermal paste with a rice sized dot placed in the middle of the CPU.

Specifications:

Size:           121 x 77 x 135.5 mm
Fan size:           120 x 120 x 25 mm
Fan Speed:        900 - 1600 RPM
Max. Air Flow: 40 CFM
Supported sockets: Intel LGA1366/1156/1155/1151/1150/775 
                                AMD AM4/FM2/FM1/AM3+/AM3/AM2+/AM2/K8



The Manual and the Intel Fittings
Cooler mounted. Actually looks nicer than expected

The Red LEDs look good, can't complain about lack of RGB at just 28 Eur


 Performance

 So I decided to measure the average temps using Ryzen Master Application and I took measurements for Idle, the average of 3 World of Warcraft dungeon runs which I chose since it has an average resource consumption in line with the most played games, Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia since it's one of the more cpu heavy strategy games around, Assassin's Creed Origins Benchmark as it's quite CPU heavy and I consider it to be a good representation of how resource heavy an AAA title can be and last but not least Prime95 since it really can stress a CPU.

Below I will add the chart on how it behaved both on stock clocks and an O.C. at 3.9Ghz and 1.4V.


As you can from above we get some decent temperatures, nothing too bad but nothing too good. It doesn't produce unbearable heat but it isn't the most efficient cooler I've seen either. When overclocking the CPU to 3.9Ghz it can get quite warm with Assassin's Creed Origins ending up to around 75 degrees. When trying to run Prime95 it shuts down in about 2 minutes each time going way over 90 degrees. So far I've kept gaming with the CPU overclocked and except for prime 95 I haven't encountered any overheating issues.

Conclusion

The DEEPCOOL Gammaxx 300R is clearly a budget cooler, very cheap at around 25 Eur (depending on the store and country) and while it doesn't provide great cooling or enough overcloocking headroom it is totally worth it's value if you need a cooler and don't want to spend too much on one for a entry level or mid-range CPU. Would I buy it if I were to make a build from scratch and had to keep a tight budget? Yes I would.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2017 UziTalks
Powered by Blogger